Vocational Courses (VET):
Vocational Education and Training Courses (VET) focuses on providing skills for work.
VET provides local skills and knowledge that help people to:
- Join the Australian workforce for the first time
- Re-join the workforce after a break
- Upgrade skills in specific fields
- Change of career.
VET courses are primarily offered by Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). These can include Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutes and private colleges. Some universities also offer VET courses, these institutions:
- Provide quality training
- Deliver courses developed based on industry standards
- Issue nationally recognised qualifications
RTOs that offer VET courses to international students must have a CRICOS code. This register allows the government to monitor the education offered to international students in Australia and ensure that it is of a consistently high quality
The VET sector includes the following types of qualifications:
- Certificate I to IV: These courses provide introductory skills and training. They teach industry-specific knowledge and skills in communication, literacy and numeracy, and teamwork. They vary in length from six months to two years.
- Diploma: Diplomas prepare students for industry, enterprise and professional careers. Diplomas typically require one to two years of full-time study.
- Advanced diploma: Advanced diplomas provides a high level of practical skills for advanced skilled or paraprofessional work in areas such as accounting, building design and engineering. Students can complete some advanced diploma courses at university level. Advanced diplomas vary in length from 1.5 to two years of full-time study.
- Vocational graduate certificate/diploma: The vocational graduate certificate and diploma are the equivalent of the higher education graduate certificate and diploma. They provide high-level employment-related skills and knowledge. The graduate certificate usually requires six months to a year of full-time study, and the graduate diploma usually requires one to two years of full-time study.
The most popular VET courses are:
- Companies, Business Administration and accounting
2. Graphic Design and Marketing
3. Photography (Photography and Photo Imaging)
4. Kitchen (Commercial Cookery)
7. Sport Coaching
8. Sport Development
11. Child education and care
12. Community services and individual care
13. Construction, Painting and decoration
14. Hospitality, tourism and events
15. Digital information and technology
16. Sustainability and the environment